Hybird, Solar and Biomass Energy System for Heating Greenhouse Sweet Coloured Pepper | Chapter 07 | Advances in Applied Science and Technology Vol. 1

The  main  drawback  of  greenhouse  heating systems  based on  solar  energy  is  the  unavailability  at nighttime and the variation of its value from hour to hour and month to another during daylight-time. However, use the combination of two-source of renewable energy (solar energy and biomass heat energy) successfully provides appropriate amount of heat energy for heating greenhouse at nighttime. The commercial greenhouses have the highest demand of heat energy for heating the indoor air as compared with other agricultural industry sectors. The investigation presented in this article is aimed at  evaluating  the  technical  and  design  feasibility  of  using  biomass  heat  energy  to  assist  the  solar energy  heating  system  at  the  eastern  area  of  coastal  delta,  Egypt  (Latitude and  longitude  are 31.045°N  and  31.37°E,  respectively,  and  altitude  6.0  m  above  the  sea  level).  The  hybrid  heating system (solar and biomass heating systems) is mainly consists of two different heating systems, a complete solar heating system (6 collectors, storage tank and heat exchanger) and biomass burner (water and air coils, and air heat exchanger). The obtained results reveal that, over 180 days heating season (from November 2015 to March 2016) the solar heating system collected 12712 kWh (45.763 GJ) of which 12316 kWh (44.338 GJ) of solar heat energy was stored in the storage tank. It provided 30.32% of the total heat energy required for heating the greenhouse. The biomass heating system provided  19795  kWh  (71.262  GJ)  of  heat  energy  which provided  58.55%  of  the  total  heat  energy required  for  heating  the  greenhouse  (225.389  kWh).  Ultimately,  the  heat  energy  provided  by  the hybrid  heating  system  (88.87%)  has  been  used  successfully  to  heat  up  the  indoor  air  of  the commercial  greenhouse  sweet  coloured  pepper.  It  also  provided  high  water  use  efficiency  of 29.860 kg/m3. High water use efficiency (29.860 kg/m3) and high annual irrigation water productivity (447.9 LE/m3) were achieved during this study.

Biography of author(s)

Prof. Dr. Salah Mostafa Abdellatif Ramadan
Department of Agricultural Engineering, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt

Dr. Nasser Mostafa Abd-Elrahman El-ashmawy
Agricultural Engineering Research Institute, ARC, Giza, Egypt

Dr. Moustafa Kamel Moustafa EL-Bakhshwan
Agricultural Engineering Research Institute, ARC, Giza, Egypt.

Read full article: http://bp.bookpi.org/index.php/bpi/catalog/view/37/131/260-1

View Volume: https://doi.org/10.9734/bpi/aast/v1

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s